If you don’t think New York new catch-and-release bail reform law is a complete disaster, check out this outrageous report by Danielle Wallace of Fox News…
“A New York City man who’s now been arrested 139 times thanked Democrats for guaranteeing his immediate release despite repeatedly swiping hundreds of dollars from unsuspecting subway commuters since the state’s new bail reform law went into effect Jan. 1.
“Charles Barry, 56, has been arrested six times since the start of this year. He’s been released each time without having to post bail under New York’s new bail reform law since his alleged offenses were nonviolent, the New York Daily News reported. In the past, Barry’s served several stints in state prison and has a lengthy record, including six felonies, 87 misdemeanors and 21 missed court hearings, the newspaper reported, citing court records.
“’Bail reform, it’s lit!’ Barry yelled to reporters Thursday outside the NYPD Transit District 1 headquarters in the Columbus Circle station before officers transported him to Manhattan Central Booking. ‘It’s the Democrats! The Democrats know me and the Republicans fear me. You can’t touch me! I can’t be stopped!’”
In other news…
- Two men were arrested on 59 counts of felony burglary, criminal mischief and petit larceny. They were released on their own recognizance under New York’s new catch and release law. Details here
- A man charged with “41 Counts of Animal Abuse in Dogfighting Case” was issued a ticket and cut loose “due to the new bail reform” law in New York. Details here
- Firefighters and other non-police first responders “are required to have their personal information released to criminals under New York state’s new bail reform and discovery law.” Some NY counties are fighting back. Details here
- “An out of state man, who was previously released under the new bail reform laws on charges of stalking a Putnam woman, was released again under the same new bail reform law after he attempted to contact the same woman more than 5 times in violation of the courts protection order.” Details here
- Cortland County deputies arrested a Broome County man for possessing a stolen vehicle – bringing the man’s total to three arrests in the last 11 days. He was arraigned and released without bail in accordance with the state bail reforms enacted Jan. 1. Details here
- Bail reform sets Crips gang member, “who has a lengthy arrest record,” free despite cop assault and car theft charges. Details here
- Two city teenagers have pleaded guilty to their roles in a shooting that wounded a toddler sleeping in a South End day care center. Both are free until their sentencings in the wake of the state’s bail reform. Details here
- Police are still looking for a Florida man they believe stole three vehicles after he was released from jail due to New York’s bail reform measures. After leaving the jail, Henderson said Gaines somehow got to the city of Geneva and stole another vehicle. Details here
- The 25-year-old man behind bars for allegedly fatally stabbing a Rockland County library security guard was free on an attempted rape charge under recent bail reforms. Details here
Mr. Muth is president Citizen Outreach a non-profit grassroots advocacy organization. You can get free updates and breaking news on this issue by going to: http://stopcatchandrelease.com